Octave checks, relative, and spurious warnings ...

From: Anthony Youngman
Subject: Octave checks, relative, and spurious warnings ...
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:49:08 +0100

The following code works, but generates warnings that I don't want ...

\version "2.8.2"

pennsylvania = {
        \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
        r2_\markup{ shout } \octave f f8. f16 f8. f16 f4 f f8. f16 r4
}

voiceTromboneI =  \relative c' {

        r2  ef4.-- ef8-> ~ ef1 r2 r4 bf8.->( ef16-.) r2 r4 ef,8. af,16->
~ |
\break
        af2 c-- df-- d-- ef-- df-- c-- bf-- |
\break
        \repeat "volta" 2 { R1*6 } \alternative { { \pennsylvania } {
\pennsylvania } }

}

Note that in "pennsylvania" I didn't specify \relative because I wanted
an absolute f. The problem, when I actually use it in "voiceTromboneI"
is that that last b flat is "bf,". And because it's inside a \relative
it's giving me "f,"s, which I don't want (and didn't expect - I didn't
expect \relative to re-pitch an included music phrase).

As for fixing it, the only *clean* way I can see is to drop out of
relative before my pennsylvanias, and then re-invoke it afterwards.
Except that gets thoroughly messy too ... Obviously, I can't mark the
first note in pennsylvania as f'8. because that's going to bugger up the
second occurrence, giving me all f's there :-(

(I was about to moan about "f8.=" not working, but I've just realised
the correct syntax is "f=8." :-)

The manual says there's a difference between "=" and \octave (section
6.2.2) but both of them are giving me warnings - is there any way I can
say "I need this absolute note" in this sort of situation without
generating warnings?

This is yet another justification for 0-length notes that don't print
:-) you can reset the relative pitch outside of a fragment like this :-)

I know this probably isn't a bug, but it's a moan that things don't
behave as expected, and that inelegant work-arounds are required to
achieve simple ends (after all, doesn't lily *encourage* use of
fragments like this?). If it can be added to the "list of features that
users would like fixed" :-) it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Wol

* ************************************************************************ *

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain
private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must
not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it,
disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to
inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately
and delete the e-mail from your information system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 8272 5300,
Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582
2333.