support for hymns?

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: support for hymns?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:00:42 -0600

Ted Walter wrote:

>I've been slowly getting up to speed using the version of Lilypond in
>Debian, 2.6.3.  Using english.ly for example, completely borks the
>ability to use es and is for flats and sharps.

Yes, if you use english.ly, it changes the flat and sharp designations.
But I write in english, and I don't use english.ly.  IIRC, if you use
english.ly you should use f for flat and s for sharp.

>FEATURE ONE:
>

>Hymns often have a refrain at the end, and it is customary for the
>lyrics of the refrain to be centered between the bass and treble clef.
>One of the example hymns from mutopia just puts the refrain in the
>middle verse.  This isn't nice, because hymns with an even number of
>verses will end up with the refrain looking a bit off.
>

>So, is there a feature to vertically center the refrain part of the
>lyrics, and if not, how much would you want to add it?

This functionality is implemented.  For an example (from 2.4.1) see the
following on mutopia:

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/DoaneWH/NearTheCross/NearTheCross.ly

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/DoaneWH/NearTheCross/NearTheCross-let.
pdf