Re: breaking cleanups

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: breaking cleanups
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 01:07:55 +0200

Joe Neeman wrote:
And of course I forgot to attach the patch...

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 20:05 +1000, Joe Neeman wrote:
This patch gets rid of the old line breaker. It keeps the old page
breaker for now, but it is no longer the default. It adds horizontal
compression penalties, for which I don't think there are any outstanding
objections. I might make the penalty configurable in a later patch
anyway. The current penalty is a bit arbitrary and I don't really like
adding un-configurable, arbitrary constants.

hi,

a couple of nitpicks. Please apply after addressing these.

+         /* we may have to deal with single lines that are taller than a page
*/
+         if (isinf (space.force_) && page_start == line)
+           space.force_ = 200000;
+

is this the hardcoded constant you're talking about?

>-  if (isinf (state_.at (system, page_count-1).demerits_))
>-    return Spacing_result (); /* bad number of pages */

why not do a programming_error() here ?

-(define (space-systems page-height lines ragged? paper)
+(define (space-systems page-height lines ragged? paper ignore-padding?)

style problem that we ourselves haven't done in the past: foo? is reserved for a predicate, i.e. a function rather than a boolean. Just use ignore-padding as a name.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com