Re: Another patch (this one is important) to abc2ly

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Another patch (this one is important) to abc2ly
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:52:36 -0400

    >> except I find it harder to read.  What do you think is the
    >> advantage of yours over mine?
    >>

    Juergen> Your approach

    >> a = re.sub ( '-', '- ', a)        # split words with -

    Juergen> applies a rule which holds for most cases, but not all
    Juergen> cases. Therefore, you introduce another rule

    >> +    a = re.sub ( ' - - ', ' -- ', a)  # unless was originally " -- "

    Juergen> to compensate for the error in the first rule.  Why not fixing the
    Juergen> original rule rather than adding another rule for
    Juergen> compensation?

I didn't write the original rule.  I just wanted to add a special
case.

    Juergen> Compensation usually increases the oevrall complexity and thereby
    Juergen> makes the code difficult to understand.

No, if what you're really doing is adding a special case to a simple
rule, I think it's easier to understand than if you write a
complicated rule.

    Juergen> My suggested rule simply says: replace "-" by "- " if and
    Juergen> only if there is not another "-" immediately before or
    Juergen> after the "-", and no further compensation is needed
    Juergen> (hopefully).  This is quite clear to understand, isn't
    Juergen> it? ;-)

In English.  In Regexp, I think lots of people can follow the original
(not really mine) more easily.  But I don't feel strongly about it.
In fact, I could easily argue that the feature shouldn't be
implemented at all, since it's not a part of anyone's idea of how to
write ABC.

    Juergen> There shouldn't be a hyphen after "ple".  I hope, that's
    Juergen> just a typo?

Yes.

Anyway, the whole issue seems to be moot at the moment, because the
whole patch seems to have disappeared from 2.9.20, although it was
there in CVS the day before.  This feature isn't important, but the
fix to the tempo setting is release-critical, in my opinion, so I hope
at least that part of it comes back.

I put all of my patches back, using Juergen's syntax for the lyrics
extenders, and can send the patch again if it will help anyone.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139