Re: creating a new OTF found

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: creating a new OTF found
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:52:15 +0200

Please keep discussion on the mailing list.

I think the easiest way is to write a FontForge script. First write the tables to a file, and after modifying the font, add it with
LoadTableFromFile. It should work, as long as you don't modify glyph names.

Reza Zamani Nasab schreef:
Thank you.
Do you know any other tool/method by which I can
preserve tables? Do these tables depend on the shape
of the glyphs, i.e. if I edit 1 or 2 glyphs, do I have
to update the tables (or it just suffices to somehow
copy/paste them to the new font)?

--Reza

--- Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

lilypondtester schreef:
I tried to change a few symbols in the lilypond
OTF fonts. This is the
process which I tried:

I opened the OTF fonts (located under
"usr\share\lilypond\current\fonts\otf"
in windows distribution) using fontfoge, edited a
few symbols and generated
fonts using "File/GenerateFont" option. The
generated file is much smaller
than the original font and when I replace it with
the original lilypond
font, It always generates error message "can't
find OpenType tables" when
compiling *.ly files. Apparently there is kind of
"table" stored in the
original OTF files that when I edit them by
fontforge and then regenerate
the fonts, are lost (even if I dont edit anything
and just regenerate the
font, the generated font file-size is much smaller
and the problem persists.
Even if I use FontLab -a windows alternative to
FontForge- the problem
persists).

I guess there is an elementary thing here which I
miss, since this is the
first time i'm editing a font. any ideas?
The LilyPond OTF contains 3 tables, LILY, LILC and
LILF which should be preserved. I'm not sure how to do this in FF.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys - address@hidden -
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen

LilyPond Software Design