Re: Git repository, was Re: doc branching

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Git repository, was Re: doc branching
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 03:01:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> I have some more clues now; some of the time stamps in the CVS repo are
> messed up; eg revision 1.2 of flower/include/GNUmakefile lists 2002 as
> the year which is clearly wrong.

Most definitely this would trigger a "bug" in cvsps. I say "bug", because
really, there are no changesets in CVS, and cvsps just tries to guess
which revisions belong together by looking at the timestamp and the commit
message.

That date is definitely wrong (since the next file revision, 1.3 is in the
year 1998 again). It is not only misleading cvsps, but it actually makes
the repository less useful. I wonder how you can make that happen, though.
It is not like I can edit the date of a file revision with CVS (unless I
edit the ,v file).

Ciao,
Dscho