another skyline issue

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: another skyline issue
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:23:56 +0100 (CET)

The input below demonstrates that the current skyline algorithm is not
optimal for rehearsal numbers.  I suggest the introduction of a new
grob property `weight' (which takes a float number as a parameter) to
influence the steepness of the slope.  Example:

weight = 0:          weight = -1          weight = 1

  ---          ---     ---          ---     ---          ---
     \        /            \ grob /            \        /
      \ grob /               ----               \      /
        ----                                     \grob/
                                                  ----

In case of rehearsal numbers, the weight would be (almost) infinity to
get

   ---      ---
      |    |
      |grob|
       ----

What do you think?  Does this makes sense?  Can it be implemented?

Alternatively, I wonder whether we need a sloped skyline at all
towards the staff.

    Werner

\new Staff \with {
  \remove Time_signature_engraver