skyline updates

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: skyline updates
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:48:33 +0200

Due to Werner's complaints and the problem of volta bracket alignment, I've removed max-slope stuff from the skylines. That is, we once again support skylines with vertical "walls" (although the algorithm is a little cleaner this time). I've put in a replacement for max-slope that's along the lines of what Erik suggested with the Euclidean distance. That is, when you convert a vector of boxes into a skyline, you can pass a "horizon-padding" parameter x. This causes

- each box to be expanded by x in both directions
- on each side of the newly expanded box, we add a sloped piece of roof. The width of this piece is x and the angle is 45 degrees.

In git head, horizon-padding is always set to zero. I'm not sure exactly where it should be bigger, but I think at least for

- tie formatting (as I thought the ties from sloped skylines looked better than before)
- vertical distance between staves
- there should be a property outside-staff-horizontal-padding that activates for all grobs with outside-staff-priority and expands them by the given amount

I should mention that, unlike max-slope, horizon-padding can be passed grob-by-grob with calls to Skyline::insert (whereas max-slope was global for the whole skyline).