tutorial and relative

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: tutorial and relative
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:08:43 +0100

Graham is doing some great work on the tutorial and handling the wave
of absolute beginners guide enthousiasm.

However, I noticed that at the start of the tutorial, relative has
been removed and instead of showing only pitches first the first entry
now also shows octavation quotes

     @example
     @{
    -c d e f g a b
    +c' d' e' f' g' a' b' c''
     @}
     @end example

     @noindent
     the result looks like this

    address@hidden,quote,notime,relative=1]
    -c d e f g a b
    address@hidden
    +{
    +c' d' e' f' g' a' b' c''
    +}
     @end lilypond

and I'm not sure if this is the way we want to go.  This is more like
the very old tutorial we had in the 1.0 days, when Han-Wen and I
decided that we should try to, iirc

  * have a very gentle entry introducing only one concept at a time
  * have learnful examples that clearly show the most interesting thing,
    but not necessarily ready-to-copy (and we introduced clickable-ly's
    for that
  * use more complete and interesting examples lateron to explain
    several related concepts
  * explain only what needs to be explained to understand the tutorial,
    the complete story read a bit differently and read by advanced
    users
  * only tell novices about relative mode, because that is what you'll
    use anyway (apropos: we have made several attempts to make \relative
    the default, and introduce an \absolute keyword/mode for expert
    use, eg algorithmic composition.  we still may make this switch
    when we see a clean possibility for doing this)

This should have been documented in the tutorial, perhaps.  That's
also why I think this may need a bit of thought or discussion

   @c will be removed once the tutorial either explains \relative or
   @c examples are fixed so they don't use it.  -gp
   In addition, many examples use @code{relative} mode.  This is explained
   in @ref{Octave entry}; for now simply be aware that some examples
   should be placed inside @code{\relative @{ @emph{...music...} @}}.

because it seems to me there are two lines of approach here.  It would
be nice if we had an idea of how the tutorial works for a
representable group of new users.

Jan.