Re: skyline vertical spacing

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: skyline vertical spacing
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 22:13:04 +0200

On 1/5/07, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
Han-Wen Nienhuys escreveu:
>> I'm not (yet) convinced that it's worth the effort. It seems that
>> querying at a point is the only thing that gets improved speed.
>> Merging and distance are still O(sum of length of skylines) because we
>> need to at least look at every point in every skyline. Building a
>> skyline is still O(n log n).
>
> I think you can do better on merging and distance, if you also store
> min/max heights in nodes; with that you could skip looking at an entire
> branch of points. However, you're right in that it is premature to
> optimize this.

Hi,

I have added scripts for profiling, see buildscripts/build-profile.sh.

It turns out that the skyline related routines have replaced
Grob::get_property() as the top-contender in the profile.  Can you
have a look to see if this can be  optimized?

I'll take a look. How important is the optimisation? (I was thinking of trying to turn 2-pass spacing into 1-pass spacing -- which should I do first?)