Re: Lilypond music

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond music
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 21:20:26 +0100

Quoting David Feuer <address@hidden>:

On 3/9/07, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote in
bug-lilypond (top-posting reversed):

Nick Mengham wrote:
> I down loaded the win XP version of Lilypond all it does is make a rather
> ordinary notated scale in PDF. It seem a very large file to do that. Is there > some thing else I should be doing? I do not have winzip, is that a problem?

As you have noticed, LilyPond is fairly different from most other programs
you have used in Windows. Among others, it's one of the programs where you
cannot really expect to be able to do anything useful unless you have
read the Tutorial.

I doubt very many users are under the impression that LilyPond can
only create one scale.  However, I do think this message suggests that
we consider what purpose the introductory file is supposed to serve
and whether it does a good job of that.  My guess is that it might be
better to use a larger, but still simple, example that will
immediately show that LilyPond produces higher-quality sheet music
than other software.

I don't agree! This introductory example should be simple enough (as
the current one) that you can understand what it does and start playing around with it, even without reading anything in the Tutorial (which is explicitly mentioned in the welcoming message). The advanced examples should be available at the web page, so they
are easily found.

  /Mats