Re: Does the center of the staff need to be zero?

From: Kevin Dalley
Subject: Re: Does the center of the staff need to be zero?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:41:30 -0700

I misread your G clef comment the first time I read it.

The G clef is correct, if you change your interpretation a bit.  It
confused me for quite a while also.  The documentation needs to be
improved, but I haven't figured out exactly how.

The G-clef is centered around the G note.  The center of the staff at
B above middle C, however many lines there are.

So a 4-line G-clef leaves the G-clef centered around a space,
rather than around a bar.

If you typeset a G note, it will be in the same position on the G
clef.

There are variables to tweak if you want to change the default
values.  middleCPosition and clefPosition.  Something like this will
create a staff

\new Staff \with {
  middleCPosition = #-2
  clefGlyph = #"clefs.G"