More thoughts on chromatic staffs scheme vs C++

From: Kevin Dalley
Subject: More thoughts on chromatic staffs scheme vs C++
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:04:25 -0700

I recently submitted a patch to allow chromatic staffs.  I added a
value to Note_heads_engraver to chose staff-line-layout from a
LilyPond file.  I submitted a semitone layout, and I'm trying 2 others
in private, before deciding whether they should be submitted.

Each of these has a very small amount of C++ code, and takes an
argument of a pitch to return the position on the staff line.

However, I'm starting to wonder whether a scheme function would be
better. After reading the discussion on center-aligning, I think that
using a scheme function would be straightforward, and make
modifications easier.  It looks like everything I need is available in
scheme.

Does this approach sound reasonable?

Of course, I have a few people who want to try out the chromatic
staffs.  Further delay will be disappointing, but this is probably
easy to add, and submit.