Re: barline number size

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: barline number size
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:44:01 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Matevž Jekovec <address@hidden> writes
Shouldn't be barline numbers larger by default so the choir and
orchestra could read them more easily. I know you can change the barline
number font and size as you want but is there any engraver rule about
how big the barline numbers should actually be or is it just a matter of
taste? IMO, the current default size is non-readable for majority of
musicians at the first sight and increasing its size would make them
quickly more readable and still wouldn't make the page too crowded.

What do you think?

Personally, I think having bar numbers on by default is a pain in the neck. To have them larger by default would really be annoying.

And - actually - WHAT USE are bar numbers while you're playing/singing? They just clutter up the page and distract you. Their only use is when you're not reading the music and the director wants to tell you where to go. At which point they DON'T NEED to be quickly readable.

So I'd vote that IF they are visible by default, they should NOT be "quickly more readable" - they should actually be "invisible unless you're actively looking for them". They're unnecessary clutter, and a distraction if you're actually using the music AS MUSIC (ie playing).

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden