Re: Doc split: "program usage"

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Doc split: "program usage"
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:01:20 +0200

Le lundi 30 juillet 2007 à 01:43 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Thanks, it's working great!
>
> In general I like to make multiple small changes (ie make many patches,
> spread over a series of days).  Will this cause a problem for the
> translations?  I'm thinking of node names in particular -- when I'm
> working on big doc changes, I'll create new nodes, work on the
> section(s), change some node names, remove some nodes that I created a
> week ago, etc.

There is no problem with this: translators have the tools to handle
this, and the program usage is almost not translated at all (excepted
converters.itely in French).  I only did a big commit for creating
lilypond-program.tely because I wanted to check everything worked fine
first.

> Can I work this way without creating a ton of warnings for the
> translation infrastructure, or should I just work on this for a week and
> then make one huge patch with the final version?

Work the way you like, as the final result is the same: for each
language, a script outputs a diff of what has changed since last
translation update, regardless of the number of commits.

> As a good example of this, see my first change to lilypond-program.  I
> don't think that the final version of this document will have a section
> called "notes for the OSX app" -- actually, I'm not even sold on the
> chapter name "setup" -- but I don't want to get bogged down thinking of
>   names at the moment.

Before translators begin translating program-usage, they translate the
huge notation manual first, so you have much time to change node
names :-)

Best,
John