\markup placement (Was: Re: collision barline with accidental)

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: \markup placement (Was: Re: collision barline with accidental)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:22:47 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

while you are at it (I mean, the placement/spacing code, though I am not sure if this is anyhow related)...

I noticed that in Manual Sect. 7.7.10.2 ("Gregorian square neumes ligatures") the placement of the letters in the neumes table changes from almost each version of the lily 2.11.x series to the next release: sometimes, the letters appear above the glyph, sometimes below, sometimes they are stacked upon each other, sometimes they appear in a horizontal row, with these flavors mixing even within the same version of lily... Is this intended behavior? (N.B.: In lily 2.10.29, the letters are placed consistently above the glyphs and in horizontal rows.)

Btw., I do not mind where the letters actually appear, as long as the placement is somewhat consistent and it gets clear that each letter is associated with a glyph. Maybe the letters should not be typeset with the \markup command, as it is currently done?

Greetings,
Juergen