Re: interactive Lilypond

From: dstutz
Subject: Re: interactive Lilypond
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:36:31 -0700 (PDT)

Guido on Debian wrote:

> Il giorno dom, 28/05/2006 alle 16.03 +0200, Nicolas Sceaux ha scritto:
>> Guido Amoruso <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > 2. Creation of music expression. I'd like to be able to do something
>> >    like
>> >
>> >      "(define music (parse-string "{c'' dd'}")"
>> >
>> >    in order to build scores both interactively and programmatically. I
>> >    know there is "ly:parse-string", but I don't understand how it
>> >    should work. This would be sure interesting in non interactive
>> >    use cases, too.
>>
>> Look at scm/parser-ly-from-scheme.scm, where the #{ #} syntax is
>> implemented.
>> (define music #{ c'' dd' #}) should do it.
>
> Anyway, that does work from file only: in the interactive session it
> segfaults, perhaps I'm missing some initialization, because
> "(ly:output-def-parser $defaultpaper)" returns a Parser without a Lexer:
> #<Lily_parser (no lexer yet) >
> I'm getting the wrong parser? Or can I initialize the lexer, too? Can it
> be fixed? Maybe I'm still missing something else...

I'm building from git on Gentoo, and although this scenario doesn't segfault
for me, I am unable to get the read-hash-extended syntax to work
interactively. It is no better if I embed the call to readline into a file.
Is there a way to work with the parser from an interactive guile session?

This looks as though it may be a regression, since I've seen examples from
earlier releases that imply that this approach worked at one time.

If I type

  guile> (display-scheme-music #{ \relative c { c } #})

I get a (wrong-type-arg) error complaining about the parser being #f

Sorry if this is a dup. I didn't see a bug report on this.