Plurals: a note about writing docs and their translations

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Plurals: a note about writing docs and their translations
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:14:45 +0200

This style of writing poses a problem to translators:

-To create @rglos{dotted notes}, add a dot @samp{.} to the duration number.
+To create @rglos{dotted note}s, add a dot @samp{.} to the duration number.

because not always the plural of an enclosed string can be formed just adding
an 's' to the end of that enclosed string.

The different order of noun and adjective (in some languages other than
English) does the plural not to go at the end anymore, and the plural cannot
be insertad in the middle, either, because of the markup.

So in cases like this I have to delete any markups and leave it as plain text.

Another similar and more general problem is to translate phrases where a word
is marked up (eg engravers, contexts and so on), these long, compound
words with the main noun at the end may look OK when read in English, but the
translation needs to clarify every time (I think) what are we talking
about.

Just a note to be discussed in the long term...

--
Francisco Vila Doncel. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org