Re: Making a Score-Following DVD with Lilypond

From: Silas S . Brown
Subject: Re: Making a Score-Following DVD with Lilypond
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:45:26 +0000 (UTC)

I found a problem when played on an ordinary TV
(rather than a computer): due to interlacing,
the horizontal stave lines suffer from
"interline twitter".  This makes the video very
flickery, which means the viewer does not want
to get too close to it, which makes it very
difficult to see the detail of the score.  I'm
not sure what to do about this - could do more
anti-aliasing but that would cost more
resolution (alraedy at a premium), or could
cause the score to be tilted at an angle and
scroll diagonally but that would take some
getting used to. I don't know if there's some
way of making sure the stave lines always take 2
pixels.  Meanwhile these DVDs can only really be
used on non-interlaced displays (i.e.  not
standard TVs).