Re: musicxml merge

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: musicxml merge
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:27:38 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 13. September 2007 schrieben Sie:

> >> No, I'm checking the filename and appending .xml if it's not there (or
> >> only xml if the filename already ends in a "."). The logic is:
> >>
> >> If file with given filename exists => Use that filename
> >
> > both if-bodies are the same. That can't be right.

No, they aren't. The first one appends xml without the ".", the second one
appends .xml with a "."

> Isn't the right thing to completely drop the first "if"?  If a user really
> choses a filename that ends with ".", I think the correct behavior
> is to append ".xml" (rather than just "xml").  For example, imagine a
> windows user chosing the filename "This is a complete sentence."  If you
> only append "xml", the dot will disappear from the filename that is
> displayed to the user in the windows GUI.  I think, the correct full
> filename should in this case be "This is a complete sentence..xml".  Or do
> I miss something?

First, please note that this is for the INPUT file name (i.e. a filename of an
EXISTING file). There is a subsequent check whether that file really exists,
anyway. The file name for the OUTPUT file will be completely determined from
the existing xml file. My changes only affect the case when you leave out the
file extension on the command line and give an incomplete filename. For the
output filename it doesn't matter if you give test, test. or test.xml as
input file name (provided the xml file is test.xml).

E.g. assume you have files test.mus (Finale file) and test.xml in a directory.
You can then run either of the following commands to generate test.ly from
test.xml (which needs to exist anyway):
  - musicxml2ly test
  - musicxml2ly test.xml
  - musicxml2ly test.

This is the same behaviour as lilypond itself.

In a shell in Linux or Unix, when you do tab completion and you have files
test.xml and test.mus, you would typically type
musi<tab> te<tab>
(musi will be completed to the existing command musicxml2ly, te will
be "completed" using the existing file names to "test.", since that's the
largest common part in the existing file names). So, tab completion will
result in "musicxml2ly test." and it's quite convenient to have that command
working already.

However, I agree with the observation that this behaviour breaks with
filenames like test..xml (i.e. in this case you must give the full filename,
test. won't suffice). I'll fix this to first check for a file with .xml
appended and only afterwards with xml appended.

Cheers,
Reinhold