Re: accidental changes: review

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: accidental changes: review
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:45:27 -0500

On 9/26/07, Juergen Reuter <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Primarily because the two values octave_ and has_octave_ are very
> >> closely related.
> >> They really /should/ be joined to an int option - if such a thing did
> >> exist in c++.
> >
> > you might want to look into making octave optional for pitch; I'm not
> > sure if it is worth the trouble, but it would make key signatures more
> > logical to specify.
> >
> > Otherwise, you could use an int*
> >

> I am just curious: Why not introducing a new class "Octaveless_pitch"
> or "Octave_Pitch" (i.e. pitch within an octave) that contains all of
> "Pitch" except for the octaves, and then making "Pitch" a subclass of
> "Octaveless_pitch" that just adds the octaves to its superclass?

[The (American) academic terms for these are "pitch-class" for the
octaveless notenames and "pitch" for actual pitches specified in a
certain octave. Robert Morris's "Composition with Pitch-classes"
[1987; Yale] is a nice example. So here, Pitch_class would be the
superclass from which Pitch would inherit.]

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden