Re: GDP: identifiers = ick

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: GDP: identifiers = ick
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:11:52 +0200

2007/9/29, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> Intuitively, forgetting about any computer or math courses, I find
> myself wanting to call them "variables".  If somebody is trying to cause
> trouble, they might complain that they can't change their values, but
> I'll stick a sentence in the docs to say that you can't do that.
>
> Anybody with objections to "variable" has until next Wed to voice them.

I vote for "variables"!
When translating the doc, IIRC the question was asked if we should
keep "identifier" or not (in French, it would give a word like
"identifieur", which is in no way a genuine French word, or
"identificateur", which sounds really ugly).

But maybe we could just imagine a new term to avoid any confusion,
just like someone brilliantly did with
GRaphical OBject ==> Grob

For example,
LIlyPond VARiable ==> Livar