Git strategy for GDP

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Git strategy for GDP
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:20:11 +0200

Hi,

As this issue appeared in a recent discussion onthe list, I wonder about
how to handle lilypond/gdp and master branches.  I see two possible

1) We keep both branches independent, and we'll rebase lilypond/gdp on
top of master after stable/2.12 has been derived from master.  This will
require reverting in master some translations and possible doc fixes
that were/will be committed to both master and lilypond/gdp, just before
rebasing.

2) We regularly merge master into lilypond/gdp to take advantages of bug
fixes in Lily code, and we'll push lilypond/gdp to master after
stable/2.12 has been derived from master.

FWIW, I use the second method for lilypond/translation because
translators need to have the latest doc changes, while master should not
be affected by 'make web' failures caused by the translations nor
contains too unpolished translations that would appear in a release.
I'm not sure these reasons are valid for using the same method for GDP,
maybe there is a standard Git way of handling this.

Cheers,
John