Re: precomputed_recurse_over_translators

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: precomputed_recurse_over_translators
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 23:50:24 -0300

2007/10/9, Ralph Little <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
> Can anybody help me with what the group of functions surrounding:
>
> precomputed_recurse_over_translators() and
> Translator_group::precompute_method_bindings()

we have all these functions like

 Foo_engraver::start_translation_timestep()

we could just do

  for (..iterate eng..) {
    eng->start_translation_timestep()
  }

to call of them. However, as it happens, lots of methods just default
to the base implementation, Translator::start_translation_timestep().
Since that is a nop, instead
we precompute the list of engravers that have a non-default
start_translation_timestep, and just run the method for those
engravers.

> I start to lose the plot a bit here...

yes, I agree it's a bit arcane, but everything to squeeze out another
few percent :-)