Re: GDP: consistency in @q @qq @samp @code

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: consistency in @q @qq @samp @code
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:30:16 -0700

(I'm CCing this back to -devel. Kurt: if this causes problems for you, feel free to remove the -devel CC when you reply.)

Kurt Kroon wrote:
On 10/9/07 11:46 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
In that case, I don't think that @samp{cresc} (as in "@samp{crescendo}
is often abbreviated as @samp{cresc.}") is appropriate.

According to the HTML spec, SAMP "designates sample output from programs,
scripts, etc.". The "sample output" is what makes this the most appropriate
way to mark up this information (assuming that @samp{...} becomes
<samp>...</samp> in the HTML output.

If displaying the content in a fixed-width font is the only downside, that
can be modified easily -- as long as you have access to the style sheet:

We have the style sheets, so that's not a concern. However, this isn't ideal, since I'd like to be able to write
        The @samp{~} symbol denotes a tie.

Longer input would definitely use @code, but I agree with Werner that 1- or 2-char input should use @samp.

 I see three possibilities:

- @var{cresc}: prints it in italics

"an instance of a variable or program argument"?

Okay, the italics are nice ... and I can see the reasoning, sort of:
"crescendo is the argument that the program ... err ... musician uses to
generate a steadily increasing volume".

Actually, the reasoning was simply "I want it to be italics, but I don't like using @emph". :)

You can see a list of all the commands here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Marking-Text.html
(in particular the 9.1 indicating)

Also note that we produce docs in PDF and info as well, so I'd rather not rely on changing the style sheet.

I'm not completely convinced ... but I'm not that enamored of @samp, either.

I'm not convinced either, but we need to pick _something_. @var isn't exactly what we want, but it's the best option I've seen so far.

@dfn{} is a possibility, I suppose... actually, when looking at how these commands look in info, @dfn is probably better.

- @q{}: normal text inside single quotes.

Meh -- doesn't convey much additional information.

It's used mainly in the tutorial... although most of these instances should be turned into @dfn (if we go that route).

(And yes, working with HTML and CSS, and thinking about semantic/structured
markup are part of my "real" job.)

Great!  You're probably more qualified than me in this discussion, then.  :)