Re: GIT help

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: GIT help
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:10:37 +0100

Johannes Schindelin skrev:

For shared repositories (such as on git.sv.gnu.org), non-fast-forwarding pushes are not allowed.

Ok.
It would be nice with a better error message.
If I understand it correctly, what you just said is that the "--force" option cannot be used on shared repositories.

In your case, I think the number of pullers is relatively small, and you can make everybody aware of your fix by sending a message either to this list, or to the pullers directly.

I don't think I have any pullers atm. Only - eh - differs :-)

The workaround, then, to force a non-fast-forwarding push is

        # delete the branch on the remote
        $ git push <remote> :rune

$ git push ssh+git://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git/ :dev/rune
error: src refspec  does not match any.
$

        # push the "new" branch
        $ git push <remote> rune

But please be aware of the implications whenever you do something like that!

Yeah, I really messed it up, I know. I had misunderstood how to work with git. It was a mistake to merge with master branch.

-Rune