Re: \set does not work ???

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: \set does not work ???
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:16:41 +0100

Eyolf Østrem wrote:

Out of curiosity, but also with an eye to the GDP and future revisions: (1) is
there a reason for this distinction (I'm sure there is), and (2) is there
an easy way to explain it? The section \set vs \override in the docs refers
to define-grobs.scm "to see what kind of settings they are", but other than
that, it seems that the case of the property names is the only guide the
poor user has. I know what I usually do: trial and error, starting with \override, which
usually works for the things I do....
In the IR, it's very clear what properties are context properties and what are object properties. This is something I will try to explain in the overview of property settings that I have promised in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-09/msg00383.html
(It should be ready any year ;-)  )

  /Mats