Beam thickness

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Beam thickness
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:12:52 -0000

Mats Bengtsson wrote on 01 February 2008 16:07
(to -user)

> Trevor Daniels wrote:
> >
> > By default the beam thickness is set to 0.48 of a
> > staff-space (Note the IR is wrong is this respect;
> > it says in units of line-thickness, which is normally
> > right, but not for beams).  So to move a beam with
> > its top edge aligned to a position with its centre
> > aligned you'll need to move it an extra 0.24.
> >

> Right! This is a property name that's used on
> many different layout objects
> and is included in several different interfaces.
> The problem with the
> documentation is the old usual one that there's
> only one documentation
> string per property name, no matter how many
> different uses there are
> for the same property name. Strangely enough,
> there's also a property
> called beam-thickness, that's only used for
> StemTremolo objects.
> I cannot see why the property name "thickness"
> could not be used in that
> application as well. On the other hand, it may be
> less obvious what
> "thickness"
> refers to for a stem tremolo, compared to other
> objects like stems or
> beams or ...
> Still, for consistency, I'd propose to use the
> property name "thickness"
> also
> for stem tremolos.

If we are to propose a change it might be better to change
the property name for the thickness of all beams to be
"beam-thickness", which has the descriptive string, "Beam
thickness, measured in staff-space units", and a default
value of 0.48.  It would seem ideal! However, it is a
property of the stem-tremolo-interface, not the
beam-interface, so the change is not likely to be easy.  Or
is it?

Trevor D