Re: adding IR links

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: adding IR links
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 11:48:39 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:38:16 +0200
> "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > ...OR... (prepare to hit your head against the nearest wall) we could
> > simply stop using a mixed format such as lilypond-book, and write the
> > whole documentation using lilyPond; Nicolas' code we were just talking
> > about makes it possible, and it would be easy to \include the
> > examples, snippets etc.
>
> Umm.  That joke didn't work.  I trust I don't need to point out
> how ridiculous this idea is?

-<:-) Valentin, do you want to implement all Texinfo features inside
\markup?  That's reinventing the wheel... and making it square.

> > then we'd have only one big Documentation.ly file, that would get
> > automatically updated through convert-ly :-)
>
> Really?  convert-ly changes material inside \markup strings?  I
> highly doubt that... if it *does*, I'd consider that a bug.

convert-ly is a simple regular expressions-based converter, it does't
parse anything, so it substitutes all matched regexps everywhere, even
in comments, \markup arguments or Texinfo text and commands.  We already
rely on this to update docs with less pain, so this is more a feature
than a bug.

Cheers,
John