Re: GDP: translations and code comments

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: GDP: translations and code comments
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:54:39 +0200

2008/4/17, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>  So I guess that if you want to translate everything,

I do. You cannot imagine how English can the docs look if something is
in English ;)

>  you'll *have*
>  to translate a large number of lilypond code as well.  This
>  strikes me as an inefficient use of resources -- both in
>  translating time, but also simply in computer resources in
>  building identical lilypond snippets which only differ in the
>  language of their comments.  But I can't see a way around this.
>  :|

There are three types of in-snippet translations: comments, text,
lyrics and variable names (well, this makes four types).

Comments: no need to recompile if verbatim option is used, just keep
and compile the original once, showing the translated verbatim code.
Possible...? otoh if verbatim is not used, translating comments is not
as important. But then, if comments show only on click, I think they
could be completely removed, because the main text should explain it
all.

Text Markups: must translate and need recompilation.

Lyrics: no need to translate unless I want Spanish traditional songs
instead (yes, I do).

Variable names: already translated in @examples, helps clarifying. It
would be nice to have them translated in verbatim- and non-verbatim-
snippets. Again, in verbatim mode the translated version could show
and the original could be kept so it doesn't need recompilation.

I can hear you think "Let's do it 'as is' for now, someday we'll do it all"

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org