Re: Lyric representation in MIDI?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Lyric representation in MIDI?
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 17:55:53 +0200

2008/5/6 Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:
>  Currently, LilyPond uses a separate track (and channel) for each Lyric
> context to output
>  the corresponding lyric syllables,

AFAICT all lyrics could perfectly go into the same track. Lyrics
events and other META events do not have a channel.

One difference between tracks and channels is that tracks should not
affect playback, they are there only for convenience if you want to
import the file into a sequencer.

Also remember that tracks can mix events from multiple channels.

> so that players like timidity (and
> certainly several other
>  "Karaoke" like players) can print the lyrics on the screen while playing
> the music.

>  Using one track for each Lyric context seems like a waste,

AFAICT tracks do not have the limit of 16.

>  don't really see the point of separating the different lyric lines into
> separate tracks/channels.

Can the lyrics really be separated into separate channels?

>  Is there any possibility to lump all the lyrics into a single
> track/channel,

Do Lyrics have a channel at all? I think not.

> perhaps even in the
>  control track (track 0) so that the remaining 14 channels

You mix tracks and channels again. Use track 0 for lyrics and you
still have many free tracks, with 15 channels each.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org