Re: *Newbie question* Can I use Gcc 3.4 for compiling?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: *Newbie question* Can I use Gcc 3.4 for compiling?
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 08:55:11 +0200

Mark wrote:
> I'm wanting to build lilypond from Source (I have patches to use alternative
> staves that I have put in the source code).
> The development enviroment I am in is Windows I use Cygwin for pretending to
> be
> in linux :)

LilyPond is known to be slow if compiled with Cygwin, that's why the
development team ships binaries for Windows compiled with MinGW.

> Can I use GCC 3.4. to compile the code?
>
> If it is o.k. to use 3.4. where would I change the code to specify that GCC
> 3.4
> or above is o.k. to use?
>
> You guys are my last hope before rebuilding GCC :( It's horrible doing things
> in
> windows :)

You might want to try building with MinGW http://mingw.org/ -- they
released recently an alpha release of GCC 4.3, which is certainly
suitable to build LilyPond.  Software compiled with MinGW is generally
much faster than software compiled with Cygwin.

See also my reply to your other email ;-)

Good luck
John