Re: ancient docs still in google (was: cygwin category of lilypond now I

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: ancient docs still in google (was: cygwin category of lilypond now Interpreters)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 19:19:01 +0200

2008/5/11 John Mandereau <address@hidden>:

>  If Han-Wen and Jan agree, I guess a good solution could be putting
>  robots.txt at root of lilypond.org, so it would contain:
>
>  Disallow: doc/v1.6/
>  ...etc...

Yes, writing "etc" does make it look more elegant :-)

I agree that major releases occur at a slow enough rhythm for us to
keep up (that's even a euphemism). I was just expecting you to be as
much of a control-freak as I am...

>  As an alternative, robots.txt could be put in lilypond.org/web and
>  contain ../doc/vX.Y/ entries, so everybody could update it in web Git
>  branch, but I'm not sure if search engines would find this file and
>  interpret '../' path correctly.

AFAIK, a robots.txt has to be at the root of the public http
directory. However, it has the downside you mentioned: it would
require Jan and Han-Wen to take care of it.

Cheers,
Valentin