Re: Figured Bass commands in property-init.ly

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Figured Bass commands in property-init.ly
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:29:21 +0200

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
There are twe elements of figured bass notation that are an integral part of
the notation, so Graham said we should make predefined commands for them.  Doea
anybody object to

figuredBassExtendersOn = {
  \set useBassFigureExtenders = ##t
}
figuredBassExtendersOff = {
  \set useBassFigureExtenders = ##f
}

For the case that you enter the figured bass directly within a Staff context (see bottom of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Entering-figured-bass#Entering-figured-bass)
these macros will not work, since the figures are typeset at the Staff level, not at the Voice level.
When I recently defined similar macros myself, I ended up doing
figuredBassExtendersOn = {\set useBassFigureExtenders = ##t \set Staff.useBassFigureExtenders = ##t } in order to have something that works both when the figures are typeset in a Staff and in a FiguredBass
context.
or

figuredBassBelowStaffOn = {
  \override Staff.BassFigureAlignmentPositioning
     #'direction = #DOWN
}
figuredBassBelowStaffOff = {
  \override Staff.BassFigureAlignmentPositioning
    #'direction = #UP
}
These macros are only relevant in the case when your previous macros failed, i.e. in the case where figured bass is typeset within a Staff context. You might also want to consider if
these macros should set stacking-dir on BassFigureAlignment.

   /Mats