separate git tree for docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: separate git tree for docs
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:56:44 -0700

A month or two ago, there was some discussion about changing the
way git is managed, to allow doc writers to have permission to
change Documentation/user/  but not other parts of the tree.  At
the time I begged everybody to shelve the discussion for a few
weeks until I wasn't so busy.  I'm now no longer busy, so it might
be good to resume the discussion.

As an idea of the requirements: I currently anticipate 6 people
(not currently listed as members of the devel team) who should
have commit ability to Documentation/user/ after GDP.  1 of those
people is also a translator, which may or may not be a different
branch/tree/whatever.  Another 1 of those people should also have
commit ability to the entire tree.
(more details about these people can be found in the "post-GDP doc
team" email)

I predict that at most two other people should be granted commit
ability to Documentation/user/ in the next 12 months.

Given this situation, I'm not at all certain that it's worth
making a separate branch or cloned git tree for docs.  But I'll
leave that decision to people who know more about git.