Re: Removing dependencies?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Removing dependencies?
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:27:49 -0300

Hi Dscho,
[+lily-devel]

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden
> Anyway, one of my pet-peeves with it was that it has too many
> dependencies, and is really complex in its design (to debug some issue,
> you have to follow through Python, C++ and Scheme code, for example).
>
> Do you have any plans to work on that?

I think the dependencies will resolve itself. The problem wasn't that
there were too many (the number is notthat high), rather that we
needed all kinds of bizarre patches to stock versions.  As these
patches get folded in mainstream, this is no longer an issue

For the design: there are reasons for the design, and I am actually
quite satisfied with it; I don't see easy ways to simplify it.  Also,
the latest additional complexity (pure vertical callbacks) were Joe's
work.  While rather hairy, they allow us to do incredible things with
vertical spacing.  If anything, I think that there may be a lack of
good debugging/tracing tools for how the formatting works. I'll gladly
discuss/review patches to address that.