Re: Three questions for ancient.itely

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Three questions for ancient.itely
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:16:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Eyolf_=D8strem_ wrote:

I'm working on the docs for ancient music,

Nice to hear!

3. The form "Episem" is used, both as a lilypond command and in the
documentation text. Since it's not really a medieval concept at all, but a
term invented by the Solesmes monks when plainchant was revised/-vived in
the late nineteenth century, it is not an established term in any language
other than french, where it is episeme (and it doesn't appear neither in
Merriam-Webster nor in the full OED). If anything, Episem is the german
form.  I would strongly recommend going with the latinized greek "episema",
which is what the Vatican editions have.

Originally, I borrowed the term "Episem" from the OpusTeX implementation of Gregorian Chant. Just a couple of minutes ago, I did a small search on Google and have to agree that the form "Episema" is obviously much more used than "Episem", especially in non-German languages.

As you are working on the docs, there is another thing that comes into my mind: Currently, \augmentum is introduced in Sect. 2.8.3.6 (Gregorian square neumes ligatures). This was motivated from an implementation point of view, which is special for \augmentum within ligatures. However, from a user's perspective, I think \augmentum should be introduced in Sect. 2.8.3.1 (Ancient articulations), showing simply an augmented punctum note. Then, in Sect. 2.8.3.6, it should be stated that \augmentum is treated specially within ligatures (i.e. all dots vertically aligned after the ligature), showing "\[ \augmentum a \flexa \augmentum g \]" as an example.

And yet another thing: The "Hufnagel" style of Gregorian Chant is in English language obviously better known as "Gothic" style. However, now that lily 2.12 is already in beta release stage, I would not recommend performing such a big rename at present.

Thanks & greetings,
Juergen