Flow of Information through the Lilypond Source

From: John Mangual
Subject: Flow of Information through the Lilypond Source
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:45:41 -0500

Can someone walk me through how the "hello world" of Lilypond  - probably \relative c { a b c d e f g} - gets processed?  Maybe the end product could be a short tutorial for interested coders following the flow of information from the Scheme-esque code we put in a text editor to the final postscript and gif.

I am pretty comfortable in Python and use Lilypond actively.  I use both Windox XP and sometimes Kubuntu.  My goal is to try my hand at some of the low and medium priority bugs such as this one http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=704&start=200

- John