Re: Proposal for "Getting Help" page for LilyPond web site

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Proposal for "Getting Help" page for LilyPond web site
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:34:58 -0800

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 07:58:39PM -0700, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> On 11/27/08 7:24 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Nobody.  Hence my proposal that we have a GWP, probably not before
> > Jan.
>
> I agree.  The GWP should be a good thing.  Are you planning on changing your
> middle name to Wallace or William?

My middle name is Keith, so your suggestion fails for GDP as well.
:)  It was never named after me; I was just fond of "G**" after
hearing about the Grand Unified Theory in physics.  Hence the
Grand Unified Binaries, Grand Documentation Project, and
(possibly) Grand Website Project.

> > "The solution to having too many places to look for information is
> > to add another place to look for information" ?
>
> For me the problem was not that there were too many places to look for
> information, but that
>
> 1) There was nothing on the home page pointing to obtaining help or support;
> all of those links were buried at the second level or deeper.
>
> 2) There was no single source to go to for getting help -- it was scattered
> through a couple of links.
>
> > I'm of the opinion that, with a properly designed/overhauled web
> > page, this kind of thing wouldn't be necessary.

This is my answer to the above two points.  :)

> > Everything else is covered, and *should* be covered, in the docs.
> > Notably LM 1.2.
> >

> I disagree.  LM 1.2 does describe that there is a user list, and a devel
> list.  But it's written doc form, not web page form.
>
> I think that some page on getting help *should* be part of GWP.  But you
> have a pretty good sense of doc needs, so I remain open to being convinced
> (but probably not until I see the GWP design, which doesn't yet exist).

Part of GWP would evaluate that kind of thing -- for example, we
have an online essay about typesetting and lilypond, and LM 1.1.
IMO we only need one of them.  Now, maybe LM 1.2 should be a web
page instead of part of the LM.
That's just an example, though -- there's no point discussing it
until GWP has started and people are working on it.