Re: Spanish Translation

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: Spanish Translation
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 00:23:15 +0100

You only need to
- create a messages_es.properties file besides the messages.properties, and
- create a LilyPondTool_es.props file containing the messages from the
LilyPondTool.props file.

- the LilyPondTool_es.props file shouldn't contain anything but localized
messages
- the localization files shouldn't contain non-ascii (not even latin1-extended)
characters. Instead we must use the unicode character code in \u003b format. It can
be solved by a simple search&replace or there are tools for this.

After doing this, the LilyPondTool_es.props file must be placed into the
properties folder of jEdit along with other localization files. Actually jEdit
can be localized this way: you just override some properties coming from other
places - most plugins can be translated this way as they use this method for
localization. For example if you look at Console plugin source, you can
translate the messages from Console.props and put your .props file into the
properties folder of jEdit.
Unfortunately this method sucks but there is no better way.

The message_es.properties files follows the normal way: it will be
automatically loaded if JEdit/LilyPondTool is run on a machine with es locale
set.

Bert

Francisco Vila wrote:
Hello Bertalan, I'd like to translate jEdit + LilyPondTool into
Spanish. You told me that there was a translatable resource file.
Where is it? Would be possible to include the Spanish localization as
standard and make it work automatically in Spanish environments? The
same goes for jEdit, I don't know if you could help me on that.
Thankyou