Re: feature req: volta bar numbering options

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: feature req: volta bar numbering options
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 20:04:17 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> writes
Anthony,

Responding late, I know, but with about ONE exception,
all the music I see follows lily's current behaviour.

Which scores/publishers have you found that match the
current behavior?

I'm a band musician (brass, concert, big), and play the trombone. Pretty much EVERY part I've ever played just counts bars from the beginning of the piece.

Normal behaviour is, as I say, to ignore the existence of the voltae when counting bars.

Unusual behaviour is to give a bar a "double number", eg the first bar of a 16-bar repeat might be numbered 40/56, but I think that's normally explained by the fact that some parts have voltae and some are written out in full.

I can only remember ONE occasion where there was a volta and the bars of the voltae shared bar numbers. And I can't remember what piece that was.

I recently acquired several notation manuals, and Gardner
Read doesn't mention numbering measures. However, Kurt
Stone (Music Notation in the 20th cent.) has this to say:

  There is little agreement about numbering the measures
  of first and second endings in repeats. The most
  practical (although rather illogical) method is to
  ignore the fact that first and second endings are
  involved and simply count all measures, regardless of
  repeat signs, etc. (p.168)

This is LilyPond's default behavior.

And I'm afraid I agree, with Lily, that practical is best. If, as conductor (which I'm not), I want to refer to a bar, then I want that number to be unique, not duplicated across voltae. And, for practical purposes, what other use do bar numbers have? None, to my mind ...

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden