Re: using \include for remote files

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: using \include for remote files
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:25:14 +0100

Le vendredi 02 janvier 2009 à 16:11 -0600, Jonathan Kulp a écrit :
> It occurred to me today that it would be nice if Lilypond could use
> \include to include files that are hosted on a website, the way html
> pages use stylesheets.  Something like this:
>
> \include "http://www.websiteaddress.com/definitions.ly";
>
> Is this something that's feasible?  I tried just adding that line to a
> file of mine and of course it said the file was not in the search path
> and couldn't be found.

This looks like a pie-in-the-sky feature: we'd have to add networking
support in LilyPond, it's not obvious to support it for all OSes; maybe
using a Python script for downloading would work?

In the meantime, best I can recommend is including the file in your
project and/or writing a makefile with a rule that uses wget to download
the file and redownload when it has changed on the remote side.

John