Re: contributor/user split in docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: contributor/user split in docs
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 18:52:04 -0800

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 03:55:47PM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le jeudi 01 janvier 2009 à 21:26 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
>
> > This will contain the INSTALL docs, doc policy, "working with
> > texinfo" stuff, the git guide, info about what all the branches
>
> Good idea, but if we go for replace READMEs in plain text with a guide
> written in Texinfo, we should make sure this guide is always available
> in its latest revision and in a compiled form; this would be currently
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/

No; kainhofer should stop hosting that.  I'll have the pdf on my
website for GOP, and after the first few weeks, this document
shouldn't be changing much, so the normal stable release will be
fine.

> >   I'll also try to write down all
> > the `oral tradition' knowledge about lilypond that various people
> > have.
>
> It's not possible to achieve this completely unless you do surgery on
> these people's brain :-)

It's perfectly possible.  We all swap jobs, and read the CG.
Whenever we can't figure out something, or whenever the old
job-person points out a mistake, we fix the CG.  Trust me, my
"RTFM is the only answer" would ensure that we have complete docs
within a few weeks.  :)

Now, you might question whether it's *worth* swapping jobs.  I
don't think it is, so I'm not suggesting that we do it.  I'm just
pointing out that it *is* possible.

> > John, your opinions as both Translation Guy and the person who'd
> > be adding the stubs for this to the build system?
>
> I suggest this guide lives in
> Documentation/devel/contributors-guide.texi, with .itexi files as
> necessary.  In addition to including this in HTML/PDF documentation
> building ("make web"), what about adding a toplevel make target
> "devel-doc"?

Documentation/devel/  sounds great.

I don't think we need a devel-doc... actually, could this dump the
texinfo into text?  That could be a cheap workaround for looking
at the HTML or PDF in the latest release on lilypond.org.

> > (starting from next Sep, I should have a linux machine powerful
> > enough to build lilypond, so my excuse will be gone.  However,
> > until then... ;)
>
> Unless you have no machine that runs a Unix-like system with at least
> 512 MB RAM and a 1GHz CPU, your excuse will be gone as soon as I've
> documented the makefiles structure in the Guide.

Welcome to the wonders of my $350 eeepc 701.  My pride and joy,
and my life for the next five months.  :)

address@hidden:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor          900MHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 630.078
address@hidden:~$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:        507724     186084     321640          0       2984
100912
-/+ buffers/cache:      82188     425536
Swap:            0          0          0
address@hidden:~$ df -h
/dev/sda1             3.7G  1.3G  2.3G  36% /
tmpfs                 248M  4.0K  248M   1% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M   80K   10M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 248M     0  248M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 248M   32K  248M   1% /tmp
tmpfs                 248M     0  248M   0% /var/tmp
tmpfs                 248M     0  248M   0% /var/lock
/dev/mapper/gper-home
                      387M  124M  244M  34%
/home/gperciva/.gper-home
/dev/sdb1             3.7G  494M  3.0G  14% /sd

I keep all my svn/git checkouts on /sd, of course.  I suppose
there's plenty of disk space to compile stuff on it, but...
630 Mhz.  And I don't like pushing the hardware on this thing,
since I'm in serious trouble if anything happens to it.

In case you're wondering, the 3/4 size keyboard is fine after the
first few weeks.  It's just like moving from cello to violin.  :)