music-function madness (help!)

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: music-function madness (help!)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 01:46:51 -0800 (PST)

Guys,

this is driving me crazy. I responded to a
request on -user for a "torn-page" effect at
the end of each system, preferably random. I
made some progress, then slammed head-first
into inexplicable buggy behavior. I tried to
recreate this on a smaller scale, but this
is as small as I can get it.

I'm using a template of sorts to create the
torn-page effect (for the right side of the
staff first) called "rightTearGeneric".

Using that, I made 3 flavors: rightTearFixed
(creates the same tear each time),
rightTearCustom (pass it a list of staff-line
tear-lengths each time), and rightTearRandom
(automated).

Bizarrely, they all work some of the time!
It seems to depend on the order in which they
appear. Example: random-fixed-fixed-fixed
works, but random-fixed-fixed-fixed-fixed
fails, and even stranger, it only fails on
the 2nd of the 4 "fixed"s.

This specific project isn't the point. I've
come across this strangeness before, and I
don't ever want to hit this again.

HEEEELLLLLPP!!!!

- Mark