Re: Documentation/devel/

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Documentation/devel/
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:30:59 +0800

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:35:41PM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Graham Percival a écrit :
>> Could I get this dir created and added to the build scripts?  I'd
>> like to move the stuff from web-gop/texinfo/contributing into
>> there, so that Carl can see what's there and add to it.
>
> Done.

I moved my files there, but texinfo doesn't seem to find the
included files.  I know, I know, I'm a terrible person for pushing
a commit that knowingly breaks compiling.  And I'm being horribly
inconsistent, and I'd totally flame anybody else who did it, etc.
I plead jetlag, lack of food, too much excitement, etc.

If anybody doesn't like it (and doesn't know/feel like fixing it),
just revert that commit.

Anyway, if anybody knows how to fix it, please do.  The CG will
**never** include any lilypond examples, so don't use any
lilypond-book.  The included files will be .itexi.

OTHER KNOWN PROBLEMS
- eventually we might want macros.itexi to be in Documentation/.
  Or maybe not.

- large sections are completely unformatted.  Or rather, they're
  formatted for text files rather than texinfo.  I'll fix that one
  of these days.

- other sections are merely stubs.  Attention to the following:

John: I waffled over whether to add a "Translation" section in
Docs and Website, or whether to add a "Translation" chapter which
would include a Docs and Website section.  I honestly can't
remember which I ended up doing, but feel free to have opinions
about this.

Trevor: I'm not going to touch the "git on windows" section.  When
you feel like it, please dump info there.  I lost the win-git.txt
file that we made for GDP.
* this sees to be relevant to numerous Frogs, too.  Also,
screenshots are a definite possibility if you think it's worth it.

Carl: add whatever you want, wherever you want.  These docs
probably need another 2-3 hours of work, not including the mundane
formatting stuffs, before they can overtake your
README-contributors.txt, but I think we should get people
reading this relatively quickly.  If you could find some time to
add some info, that'd be great.

Most of all -- and the reason I added this with all its current
problems -- I want us to start dumping info here, rather than
split between old website info, public emails, wiki, private
emails, etc.

> BTW I'll look at integrating Texinfo docs in web-gop after Jan. 19th, as
> I'm quite busy with studies this week-end and next week.

Don't look at the website now.  There's no rush.  Here's my
thoughts about what your priorities should be, if you give them
any weight whatsoever.  :)

1.  Support the Frogs.  They have energy and whatnot, copmletely
unlike me right now.  Now, I don't think there's anything you can
do for them directly.  That said,

2.  Get GUB setup and working.  Whatever bugs you find and fix
will be less that I'll encounter.  Since I'm using kainhofer, I'll
probably find bugs (in x64) that you don't find, but getting GUB
more stable will still help.

3.  If you want to earn my undying gratitude and love, log in to
kainhofer (if you can) and get GUB working on that.

2+3: one way or another, we should start releasing more often, and
I lack experience at debugging build failures, and don't
anticipate having the energy to learn to do so in the next few
weeks.  If you could get GUB working on your own system, I'd
totally be into releasing 2.12.2-4 from that.

Oh yeah, the importance of releases is that contributors
(especially those on windows) can then see the results of their
work, which is a great morale booster.  Also, it'll get the CG out
there.  That said, maybe one the CG pdf creation is fixed, Carl
could start building the pdf on his own machine, then upload that
somehwere.  This would let him add material and "publish" it to
the Frogs whenever he adds anything.

Cheers,
- Graham "I'm not drunk because I don't touch alcohol, but this is
  probably what being drunk feels like" Percival