Re: \cresc applies to the next note!

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: \cresc applies to the next note!
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:56:26 -0800

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Frédéric Bron <address@hidden> wrote:

> Because \dim starts on the next note, you have to put it before \ff
> which is the contrary of what happens really! If you put \dim after
> \ff, the "dim" starts on the next note and it is possible that the
> "ff" and the "dim" are not put on the same line.
> This illustrates perfectly why I would like that \cresc and \dim start
> on the next note.

You mean that you would like \cresc and \dim to start on the previous
note, right?

I hope I am following correctly.

For example:

g4 \< g g g \!
g4 \cresc g g g \endcresc

These two examples should have the same behavior, IMO.  That is, the
commands apply to the *previous* note.

I think we need to rework \cresc, \dim, etc. so that they use a
modified version of make-span-event (the procedure \cr, \decr, etc.
use).  Right now, with these commands, a SequentialMusic expression is
created, so the behavior will only apply to notes *following* the
command.

-Patrick