Re: AJAX-search field in the docs (Proof-of-concept)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: AJAX-search field in the docs (Proof-of-concept)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:23:36 +0100

On Freitag, 6. März 2009 21:14:01 Neil Puttock wrote:
> You probably won't be the least bit surprised to learn that neither IE
> 6 nor 7 will play ball: once I typed in three characters, nothing
> happened apart from an `Error on page' message in the status bar. :)

Okay, I've solved that problem: IE can't handle assigning content to a <span
id="search_results"></span>, it can only handle assigning to a <div>. I've now
changed this to a div, which I show/hide when necessary.

On Samstag, 7. März 2009 00:47:30 John Mandereau wrote:
> Reinhold Kainhofer a écrit :
> > If JavaScript is disabled (so that AJAX won't work, either) or the files
> > are viewed as static files on your harddisk (i.e. not over http, so
> > the AJAX call would fail for sure), no search box is shown.
>
> It's certainly possible to enable the search for local docs by replacing
> AJAX calls with loading files locally.

I'm now working on this...

On Samstag, 7. März 2009 00:47:30 John Mandereau wrote:
> Reinhold Kainhofer a écrit :
> > The other problem is that the www-post script doesn't seem to install
> > the *.de.idx, *.ja.idx, *.fr.idx and *.es.idx files, while the *.en.idx
> > files are properly installed to Documentation/user/... So for now the
> > search only works in the English docs.
>
> The "culprit" is not www_post.py, it's the command that links translated
> doc files
> to Documentation/user in make/doc-i18n-user-targets.make.

This works now.
The only problem with it is that texi2html creates *.html rather than
*.lang.html files and thus all links point to the English version :( Wouldn't
it be better anyway to make texi2html create *.lang.html files in the first
place rather than doing the rename in out self-baked scripts?

On Freitag, 6. März 2009 18:28:43 Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> These search boxes are for now meant as a proof-of-concept
> implementation mainly. I haven't done any work on the corresponding
> CSS styling to make the results look nicer.

I've now improved the CSS a bit, but I'm no graphics designer, so it still
looks basically the same way as before...

Cheers,
Reinhold
- --
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886