Re: Implement framework for post-fix text (de)cresc spanners

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Implement framework for post-fix text (de)cresc spanners
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 18:05:29 +0100

2009/5/7 Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>:

> 4)  cresc = #(make-music 'CrescendoEvent 'span-direction START 'spanner-text
> "cresc.")

I favour this version since its the least ambiguous; there's no risk
of a user trying to make e.g. a 'CrescendoEvent with
'descrescendo-text.

> In particular, the question is whether the properties should be (de)crescendo-
> spanner vs. spanner-type, and (de)crescendo-text vs. spanner-text (I prefer
> not to include the crescendo/decrescendo, but keep the same property name for
> both CrescendoEvent and DecrescendoEvent).

I think the generic terms are better here.

> The other question is whether we should stick to LilyPond's usual redundancy
> (i.e. defining both the type and if type=='text, then use the text property)
> or
> simply take the presence of a text property to infer that the type should be a
> text spanner and not a hairpin?

I think it should be as simple as possible, though if you'd like to
retain the type just in case somebody wants to implement hairpin text
properties later, that's fine by me.

Regards,
Neil