Re: Page breaking and squeezing as many systems on a page as possible?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Page breaking and squeezing as many systems on a page as possible?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:17:25 -0700

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 12:22 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Hi all,
> I already sent this to lilypond-user last week, but didn't get any hint for a
> solution, so maybe the devel list is more helpful:
>

> I'm currently trying to squeeze the choir part of a mass onto 8 pages.
> Here is the lilypond output with annotated spacing and skyline debugging
> enabled:
> http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/Pembaur_VierteLateinischeMesse_ChoralScore.pdf
>
> Does anyone have an idea why the fourth system is put on the second page
> instead of the first page? How can I make it appear on the first page.

After fixes to a few bugs (in git), I get the following output:
With ragged, there are 9 pages, 4 systems per page, 1 system on the last
page. The Kyrie gets an extra system compared to the example you sent. I
think this behaviour is acceptable because I found the spacing of the
Kyrie to be quite tight on 5 systems.

Without ragged, there are 9 pages, 4 systems per page except for 3 on
page 4. This is a bit ugly, and I want to look more into it.

Without ragged, with page-count=8, there are 8 pages, 4 systems per
page. Line breaks are the same as the copy you sent. I had to put
between-system-space back to the default in order to get the spacing
right (otherwise, nearly all of the blank space goes before and after
the titles). There are some worrying programming errors, though, that I
need to look at.

To summarize: there are more fixes to come, but I think page-count=8,
ragged-bottom=##f, ragged-last-bottom=##f gives decent results now.

Joe