Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"

From: Henning Plumeyer
Subject: Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 07:25:21 +0200

Am 27.05.2009, 04:41 Uhr, schrieb Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden>:

Henning Plumeyer wrote:
Am 26.05.2009, 04:13 Uhr, schrieb Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden>:

I had to comment out one more thing before it would run properly, though--the "-djob-count" option, something we put in on the Linux version to take advantage of dual processors. It choked on that saying "unbound variable 'primitive-fork'". This could be because I'm running on a virtual machine, though. Did it work properly for you with the multiple jobs option?
 Hi Jon,
it worked properly for me. Maybe you got the long line cut like I saw
it on the gmane web interface. Below I put a version with three lines
for the lilypond command (as attachement also).

Hmm. It still doesn't work for me with the job-count option. It must be because I'm using virtual machines.

What do you get if you type  "set n" (Without the quotes)? It gives all
environment variables beginning with n or N. Is there
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS?

 BTW: I got no difference with the "-djob-count" or without it.
   With the option: 2:45.218
   without        : 2:45.000(!)
(On a 2.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor--is that a normal time?)
Seems as if the option should be omitted on Windows for simplicity.

The numbers 2:45.xxx are seconds of command duration (sorry, I didn't
write a unit after them). As you see, the "-djob-count" option has no
use at least for me.

 I also got a way to work around the path-with-blank(s) problem.
Instead of CURDIR I fill and use a variable "workdir" in VPATH.
(Change the name if you like, I'm not a native speaker.) The used
technique for getting the 8.3 version of CURDIR is explained near
the end of the help for the command for ("for /h" on the Windows
commandline).

I like this. It's probably essential for Windows versions earlier than Vista that have the spaces in the dirnames. Thanks for figuring this out. It works great.

Fine.

Instead of %%b %%a could be used, but as a German I don't like sa...
 I am looking for a way to distinguish from within the makefile
if make is running on Linux or Windows. Perhaps we could use the
environment variable "OS" which is OS=Windows_NT on my computer.
 make has "ifdef variable-name" and "ifeq (arg1, arg2)", so there
should be a chance. Then perhaps it could be possible to have the
same makefile for Linux (and OSX?) and Windows.
 Does Linux have a varialble OS? If not, we can check for
existence, if yes we check the value.

When I run "env" I don't get a value for OS. In my shell scripts that I want to run on either Linux or Mac OSX, I check OS with this:

OS=$(uname)

Really, though, I think it's probably best to have two different Makefiles to avoid complication. These are intended to give noobs direction in creating their own, and for me it's better to reduce the complications.

I agree, as it is an example it should be as simple as possible.

Regarding the mid/midi thing:
 We could use -dmidi-extension to set the default file extension
for MIDI output file to midi, but that touches the question of
the proper extension for midi.
(http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c20090408193658.GA2963%40zonnet.nl%3e) Could we let lilypond give us the answer itself?
On Windows:
MidiExtWithQuotes = $(shell for /f "delims=() tokens=2" %%a in \
            ('lilypond -dhelp 2^>nul^|find "midi-extension"') \
            do echo %%a)
 How can this be achived on Linux? You would have to build a
command that gives
midi
and nothing else.

This is a pretty cool feature you've written but I'm inclined just to live with .mid for the sake of simplicity.

Yes.

At one point I had a target to create only midi, but now I'm letting the midi files be created by the "movements" target. None of the other targets create midi files. It would be easy to have a midi-only target with the -dno-print-pages option, I guess. Do you think it would be better to separate midi into its own target?

No, because I think midi is often used to check if everything is correct.
If you then hear a mistake you need the pdf to see what is written. For
this purpose, pdf and mid belong together.

I think you will modify the file as you want. Ask me if you want me to
do that.

Henning